RE: disk brake pad stops?

To: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: disk brake pad stops?
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:42:22 -0500
Keep in mind that it's not the piston that comes into contact with the
rotor, but rather the metallic backing on the brake pad.  I tend to doubt
that the notches in the caliper body are cut shallow enough to prevent the
pad's metal backing to contact the rotor (I've never let mine get that worn)
as that would allow the pad to wear to a point at which it no longer
contacts the rotor because the piston bottoms out.  That would cause a brake
failure - although not a sudden one - and doesn't sound like a good
engineering decision as rotors are considered wear parts and the piston
wouldn't touch the rotor anyway unless the pad fell out of the caliper or
something.
Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/