OT Audi 1.8T Motor Oil Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: OT Audi 1.8T Motor Oil Question
From: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 11:13:08 -0700
Rob's message on the Skoda got me thinking about something that has
always bothered me about my girlfriend's VW Passat.  It has a 1.8 Turbo
Audi engine in it and the owner's manual recommends 5W-40 or 5W-30 oil.
I can easily locate 5W-30, but have never found 5W-40 anywhere.  I live
in the high desert of Arizona (not nearly as hot as Phoenix, but still
hot).  I was thinking of running 10W-40.

Why would the manufacturer suggest a multiweight oil on the lower end of
the scale?

Doesn't a Turbo engine generate more heat?

More heat would suggest heavier weight oil, right???

Dan McHatton
Sierra Visa, AZ
'66 1600