Re: strange overheating problem-help!

To: Jim Cawrse <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: strange overheating problem-help!
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:07:26 -0500 (CDT)
Jim,

Sounds like you checked most of the things on the list!

Yes, the hat part of the thermostat goes up.

The radiator may be clogged. Stick a garden hose in the upper hose
connection and see how much water comes out the bottom. There should be
enough flow to keep the water from flowing out of the top connection
around the hose if the radiator is not plugged. If the radiator is still
in the car warm it up and feel the radiator to see if the temperature
gradient is even from top to bottom. Cold spots indicate blockage.

It is possible that the temperature gauge is not reading correctly. Try to
check the temperature of the water or at least the thermostat housing with
either a mechanical thermometer, or an infrared thermometer.

Timing too advanced can cause heating also. Check that out.

I had heating problems on my 67.5 1.6L that turned out to be too high a
compression ratio. The head had been cut WAY too much. Swapping it out to
a standard head took care of the problem.

One other thing that I found to help was to keep the antifreeze
concentration as low as possible for your climate, but not lower than 25%
(in order to maintain anti-rust concentrations). Antifreeze doesn't
transport heat as well as water. I also put in a bottle of Redline water
wetter, which was good for about 5 degrees.

Good luck!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner