Re: strange overheating problem-help!

To: Jim Cawrse <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: strange overheating problem-help!
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 08:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, the thermostat goes in with the spring down.

If your car overheats quickly, you probably have a head gasket leak.
Does your cooling system get pressurized?  Mine used to get so much
pressure that the air escaped out through the overflow tank and sounded
like a diesel truck air horn.  It was from a leak from a cylinder to a
water passage, pushing the compressed air into the cooling system.  Hot
compressed air isn't much of a coolant so the car overheated quickly.

--- Jim Cawrse <nqrithjim@hotmail.com> wrote:
> For all:
> This problem started way last summer, but I havnt
> driven the car much since then due to a variety of my
> own troubles, and 9-11 work related issues, but here is the story:
>
> I thought I hade the problem fixed with a simple thermostat
> problem, but I started up the car last week
> on a cool day and it proceeded
> to overheat, just sitting there.  Here is what I have done so far:
>
> Took out thermostat and did the cook in water test:
> test sat, opens before water boils
>
> Took out radiator, both hoses look clear not collapsed
>
> Took out water pump, impeller in great shape, and attached
> to pump
>
> Am taking the radiator to the shop for a flow test today,
> but it was recored to 3 row some years ago and should be OK.
>
> Stupid question:  I found the thermostat with spring down,
> hat lookin thing up, I certainly hope thats the right way it goes!
> If not, why did the car run OK, including auto-X for a year
> before this??
>
> Looked inside block, very nice and clean passages.
>
> I ordered two new hoses, a new pump, and a new thermostat,
> just incase some strange, wierd, otherworldly thing is going
> on that I can somehow fix with the application of lots of
> money.
>
> This is a 67 car, no fan clutch, good old 4 blade fan,
> and all shrouds including the scoop underneith are in
> place.
>
> It is a pushrod 2L, and generates more heat than a
> 1600, but overheating at idle on a cool day??
>
> Any help appreciated in advance!
> Thanks,
>
> Jim
> Chesapeake Va
> 67 pushrod 2L
> 72 510 sportwagonGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
> http://explorer.msn.com

=====
Thanks,

Adam Bradley