Re: strange overheating problem-help!

To: nqrithjim@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: strange overheating problem-help!
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 11:22:52 EDT
I had some overheating problems years ago that seemed hard to track down -
checked all the "externals" and did a compression test to that was OK.  To
make a long story short, it turned out to be the head gasket. No billowing
white smoke, ran fine - musta been the teensiest of leaks. Pinned it down by
doing an exhaust gas check of the coolant.

I recommend (if it's still in driveable order) taking it to your local cheap
fix-it chain that does radiators/ cooling and see if they'll give you a free
check.(someone out there will) See if they'll do a system pressure check
while they're at it too. If something is bad, politely tell them "Thanks,
I'll hafta check w/ the wife first", go home & fix it yourself !

You can buy the coolant/exh gas testers and the presssure testers yourself -
a wothwile investment if you frequently play w/ old cars - but it's way
cheaper for a one shot deal to take it in.

Sounds like you've got the 'stat in OK too.

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ