strange overheating problem-help!

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: strange overheating problem-help!
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:21:09 -0400
For all:
This problem started way last summer, but I havnt
driven the car much since then due to a variety of my
own troubles, and 9-11 work related issues, but here is the story:

I thought I hade the problem fixed with a simple thermostat
problem, but I started up the car last week
on a cool day and it proceeded
to overheat, just sitting there.  Here is what I have done so far:

Took out thermostat and did the cook in water test:
test sat, opens before water boils

Took out radiator, both hoses look clear not collapsed

Took out water pump, impeller in great shape, and attached
to pump

Am taking the radiator to the shop for a flow test today,
but it was recored to 3 row some years ago and should be OK.

Stupid question:  I found the thermostat with spring down,
hat lookin thing up, I certainly hope thats the right way it goes!
If not, why did the car run OK, including auto-X for a year
before this??

Looked inside block, very nice and clean passages.

I ordered two new hoses, a new pump, and a new thermostat,
just incase some strange, wierd, otherworldly thing is going
on that I can somehow fix with the application of lots of
money.

This is a 67 car, no fan clutch, good old 4 blade fan,
and all shrouds including the scoop underneith are in
place.

It is a pushrod 2L, and generates more heat than a
1600, but overheating at idle on a cool day??

Any help appreciated in advance!
Thanks,

Jim
Chesapeake Va
67 pushrod 2L
72 510 sportwagonGet more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com