Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts

To: sandhoff@csus.edu
Subject: Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 10:48:12 -0700 (PDT)
John wrote,
> Just IMHO, but chopping holes in the hood can lead to spot overheating!
>
> The hood helps direct air flow around the engine and down the back. If
> that airflow is interrupted, you may not get the expected flow around the
> sides and back of the engine.
>
> -- John
>      John F Sandhoff   sandhoff@csus.edu   Sacramento, CA
        I don't believe that there is a significant amount of cooling done
by the air that flows around the engine.  If the rad is sealed to the sides
of the car at the front high pressure area you will force most of the air thru
the rad.  This hot air then flows over the engine and out thru the bottom of
the engine bay.  If you put louvers in the low pressure-high velocity zone
on the hood this will help to suck the hot air out of the engine compartment
and also to pull more air thru the rad.  So I think louvers can be a good thing
whether or not they look good is another thing.
        just my .02 cents
                Daniel 69 2000
                Oakland CA