Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:28:42 -0700
One comment and then I'll be quiet:

> I too have to disagree with John.  If you look at old race cars from the
> 60's (ie. the first racing cobra) louvers on the hood were a standard way to
> increase cooling.

And I will happily bet you that those cars were DESIGNED to have those
louvers.

It's all about engineering and design. A car is an engineered machine
(well, maybe not Chrysler products). If you poke at that design in one
place, it's amazing what might break someplace else. It wouldn't surprise
me (I don't know, this is just a HYPOTHESIS) to see that adding louvers
will shorten the life of the alternator (at least on the later style layout).

I try (unsuccessfully) to keep quiet at some of the things I see people
suggest: larger brake calipers without changing the master cylinder;
ripping out the PVC system; blocking the water flow thru the intake
manifold on a street car... If a person understands the car as a SYSTEM,
and does the proper engineering to account for ALL the ramifications, then
certainly GO FOR IT! But first consider WHY the engineers did what
they did - they _usually_ had a pretty darn good reason!

There.... I'll go away now...

-- John

p.s. If everything is working OK, and assuming a pre-smog setup, I
don't think these cars overheat... Find the problem instead of cutting holes...