Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts

To: dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu, sandhoff@csus.edu
Subject: Re: Mods, Upgrades, Thoughts
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:48:00 -0400
I too have to disagree with John.  If you look at old race cars from the
60's (ie. the first racing cobra) louvers on the hood were a standard way to
increase cooling.  Usually the air coming in through the radiator is limited
by the exit path - under the car .  The big problem as I recall was that if
you increased the grill opening, you just increased the up force on the car
making it less stable.  That is one reason why the Cobra Daytona had the
radiator exhaust through the hood.  That alone actually decreased engine
compartment temperatures.  The side louvers could be done to help, but you
would have to eliminate the inner fenders (not a real good idea on a street
car) or make ducts for the air (lots of work for little gain).  To improve
the cooling, the best thing that you can do is to duct the grill opening to
the exact size of the radiator - that increases the flow and reduces the
turbulance.  Remove the backing off of your grill for a little more help in
cooling.  Little gains, but it helps.

Daniel is right on in his note (in my opinion - based on my observations and
readings on racers of the period.)