Re: Fw: Car update (SRL311-00489)

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Car update (SRL311-00489)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:06:45 -0800
All,

It certainly is amazing to me that so many people seem to be concerned about
the amount of money I am spending on my car or the fact that I am going with
a Volvo brake conversion instead of sticking to true stock. Truth be told,
the car is not going to be stock in several areas- not that I give a squat
about that.

This is MY car. I have no interest in a completely stock restoration. The
last I heard, there is no Concourse D'Elegance class at Pebble Beach for
Datsun Roadsters. I also could care less about winning awards at Shasta or
Solvang. I'd much rather enjoy the cars and the people.

There will be no grey paint inside my car. My engine block will not be
painted turqoise blue. I will not have the stock radio installed and there
will be a carbon fiber dash facia and an EMPI steering wheel on the car.

As far as money is concerned, I always remember the scene in The Quiet Man
where John Wayne finally gets the money from his Brother-in-law that he is
owed for his new wife's dowry and throws it into a furnace. It was his money
and he did what he wanted with it. So am I. I worked for four years to get
the money together to do this car. I love the car more than any "thing" I
own. Things don't matter in the long run, but this car will be my own and it
will be unique.

As far as the Volvo brakes, I can credit Ross with being a good enough
salesman to know that if I took a test drive in a KA24DE powered car with
Volvo brakes I would be sold. I was. Let's face it. There are a lot more
Volvos on the road than Datsun Roadsters and when I need to replace my brake
parts they will be available.

My car is a numbers matching 1967.5 2000 Datsun Roadster with some minor
customization. I am spending a lot of money to restore it. I love the car.

'nuff said.

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC