Re: Connecting rod length (somewhat OT)

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Connecting rod length (somewhat OT)
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:22:56 +0100
If the piston stays at TDC and BDC for too long the
engine will loose some power. Specially in engines with
less than 8 cylinders. This can be reduced by using shorter
rods but if the rods are too short the friction will increase
due to the side loads on the piston caused by the rod being
in a greater angle to the cylinder, halfway up or down in the
cylinder. Somewhere there is an optimal rod vs stroke length
and by looking around a little it seems like many of the high
performance engines are close to the 1.70:1 ratio.

Thomas