Re: SU BLUES

To: Roman Rist <roadsterregistry@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SU BLUES
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:49:42 -0700
> Without warning the Jet, stops working. instead of shutting of the fuel
> supply it keeps on pumping. My floats are not sinkers.

You either have tiny specks of dirt (it doesn't take much), valves that are
shot, or a fuel pump putting out too much pressure (unlikely if it's the
stock mechanical, but...)

The jets can go bad. They typically have a neoprene tip that if it's worn
or cracking can let fuel intermittently leak. I'd replace them. At the same
time, be sure to clean the screens inside the banjo bolts (make sure
these little brass filters aren't missing!). You may also want to put in
one of the glass aftermarket filters (about 3 inches long, inline, with
a white plastic filter element inside the glass tube). Place it after the
existing filter where it can catch any extraneous specks.

I'm using grosse jets in my 2L, but am not totally happy with them.
They appear to promote flooding at certain RPMs (a vibration problem,
I believe). Some people love 'em, some don't.

-- John