Re: Lack of power = lack of fuel pressure

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lack of power = lack of fuel pressure
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 10:44:05 -0500 (CDT)
The return line to the tank is not really a return line.  It is an
anti-vaporlock line.  There is a valve that opens and tries to keep the car
from vaporlock.  If the valve is missing or not working properly then you are
just pumping gas back into the tank and not to the carbs.  Most fuel injected
cars have a return line with a pressure regulator in them.  Our little cars
don't have a regulator like that in the line so there is no pressure buildup.
On my racecar I have the fuel line going directly to the two carbs with no
bypass or return hooked up.  I use a purolator pressure regulator that goes in
line before the carbs.  It is set at 3 or 3.5 depending on how I feel that day.
 I also use an electric pump that produces 7psi.  If you have a stock pump them
you may not need a regulator, but your reading of 2.5 seems a little low.  You
may consider an electric pump and regulator setup if you ever experience fuel
starvation.

Andy