Lack of power = lack of fuel pressure

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Lack of power = lack of fuel pressure
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:35:54 +0000
To List,

My lack of power on hills issue is a lack of fuel pressure.  I replaced fuel
filter and had same problem.  So I borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from a
friend.  Never having used a fuel presure gauge before, so I'm not sure I
did it right.  It had a T that the fuel lines would hook up to and the
"vertical" part of the T went to the gauge.  BTW, I'm not sure if this the
same on all cars, but I have a return to the tank after fuel passes by the
carbs.  It's stock so I think everyone has one.

Anyway, I hooked up pressure gauge just before the carbs (I have Solex's if
that matter or not).  My reading, assuming I did it right, was 0, that's
right, zero.  Well, maybe .5, but it was really low.  So I undid that and
hooked it up after the carbs and blocked the return to the tank.  Reading
that time was 2.5.  Took car out for drive and problem was solved.  I'm
planning on hooking lines back up correctly (hooking fuel return back up) as
you can tell that at idle, carbs are gettng too much fuel.  So, my problem
was no fuel pressure.  Now I have two or three questions:

1.  Which reading was right for fuel pressure, 0 or 2.5?  Is it possilbe the
2.5 reading was due to the carbs sucking the fuel and not anything to do
with the pump, i.e. pump isn't working?

2.  I rebuilt fuel pump prior to install.  I installed a new diaphram in
pump and it seemed to work when I pumped it by hand prior to install, at
least it sounded like it worked.  Is it possible to install pump
incorrectly?  Does the "actuating arm" on the pump go above or below
jackshaft.  If I remember, pump install was pretty easy.  Again, is it
possible I installed it incorrectly or is it difficult to install the wrong
way?

3.  Assuming I hooked up pump right, how much pressure should I be getting?
If I don't have enough pressure, I assume I need a new pump.

Thanks for advice!!!

Allen
1970 2000 that actually runs now.