RE: Stiff steering

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: RE: Stiff steering
From: Mitch Planck <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:19:32 -0400
> > > Guess I'm too used to power steering.  But, is it normal to almost
> > > strain
> > > every muscle in your arms to make a sharp turn?  This
> usually happens
> > > when I
> > > have to do a 45 turn onto another street.  On the other
> hand, to make a
> > > regular curve in the road, I jokingly say that just lean
> in the right
> > > direction and she'll come around.

Have you tried jacking up the front end so the suspension is off the ground
and seeing how hard it is to turn the steering wheel then? It should move
smoothly and easily with no noise from any of the components.

Compare it to a power steering car with the engine turned off but the key in
the acc position so that you can turn the steering wheel - it should be
easier to turn the Roadster's wheels than a p/s car without p/s.

Good luck,
Mitch
'69 1600 parts donor
'70 1600 mostly gutless