Winter roadster driving!

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Winter roadster driving!
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:18:13 -0600
OH YEAH!!!!

For those of you who put your roadsters up for a long winters nap...  I'm
sorry.     It's 'snowing' here in Illinois... a nice heavy wet snow that has
accumulated about 2 inches on the ground... about 1/2 inch after the
overzealous plows get to it first.  I swear they are going break their
budget on fuel and salt/etc for the year on this one puny snowstorm!   I
just got here from Colorado... this isn't snow, it's called "flurries" back
there.   Anyway, I had a blast on my 24 mile drive back home tonight!  I had
a 4x4 truck pass me at the speed of sound... oh what sweet revenge it was to
see him in a ditch a few miles up the road!  haha!   I stopped and had to
make the famed comment "4 wheel drive sure isn't 4 wheel stop, is it?" then
I called a towtruck for him.  Poor guy... early 20s, newer truck with a
wrinkled front end from the ditch.    I hope he learned from this...

After all that fun, I got to enjoy the roads too... left turns are a BLAST
in the roadster... punch the gas lightly and the rear end swings around
nicely, making the turn very tight.  I also found the mistake I made 12
years ago when driving another 2000... I had started accellerating from 45
up to 55 mph and the rear end broke free.  I ended up doing about 55-60
backwards on I-70 in Kansas in a snow storm.  Scary s**t , but survived that
one, without the damage the poor guy above got.   I tried that again
tonight... sure enough, the car tried to break free again, but I was more
than prepared by the 12 extra years of experience.    These cars are great
in snow, just don't try to anything really fast in them... slow
accelleration, slow braking, slow turning...  I know... kinda boring!   I
think I might have to go find a parking lot tonight and play... :)

Enjoy the ride!!
Eric