Re: question on 69 srl 2000

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: question on 69 srl 2000
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:24:12 -0600
>Tom Hendricksen:

> If you have not yet played with the
> radio console, be aware that the
> electrical connectors are VERY fragile,
> and are very likely to disintegrate in
> your hands.  I replaced all of these
> connectors with Molex 0.063" (pin dia)
> nylon connectors in an assortment of pin
> counts to match the original count as
> close as possible.  You can find these
> connectors at most electronic parts
> distributors, and Radio Shack seems to
> have a fairly good variety as well.
> When I put new connectors in I included
> the stereo speakers, power antenna, and
> alarm system wiring, making it all look
> almost factory.  The alarm system itself
> is in the trunk.

I want to add a bit to Tom's recommendation of Molex connectors. If you're
going to use them, a good idea IMHO, get the correct crimping tool and the
pin extractor tool and use the gold plated pins. Yes, the gold plated pins
will be a bit more but not much and I feel that the higher cost is more than
justified by the increase in long term reliability. The crimping tool runs
$15 to $18 and the better pin extractor maybe $8.00.

IIRC, there are actually two styles of pins, one designed to be soldered,
the other a double crimp. If you get the crimper it has positions for both
the bare wire and the strain relief crimps. I often use heat shrink, too,
before inserting the pins in the connector. The heat shrink gun I use is
from Fry's (about $30) and can also be used to heat paint on house walls to
ease removal and might help removing old interior vinyl and the tar based
panel doublers.

FWIW,
Ron