Re: Differential help

To: arthurrockwell@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: Differential help
From: Phill Brook <fairlady@telstra.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:35:22 +1100
Arthur,
I'm assuming by faster you mean less revs at the same road speed.
Stock '66 is 3.9:1
Solex 2000s are 3.7:1.
That is a difference of close to 5%

See if you can find either a complete centre or at least a crown wheel and
pinion from a Solex car.

If you want to go the other way, IIRC 4.1 diff sets were available in Datsun
411 sedans, 510 wagons and 720 pick-ups. 4.375 was also available for 720s

FWIW, S14 and S15 Silvias with SR20DET engines ran a 3.9 diff and 205/55-16
tyres on 16x6.5 rims. That is about 6% larger than the stock roadster tyre.

You could also try increasing the rolling diameter of your tyres but
calibrating the speedo may be a problem.

Once an SR20DET is on boost in low gears it goes to redline very, very fast.
With cams, a 3" exhaust and 15lb of boost a 1250kg S15 is easily capable of
getting to 60mph in less than 5.5 seconds. With stock sized tyres and diff, the
above mentioned mods plus bigger injectors and aftermarket computer the S15
(and S14) was also capable of going up to about 165-170mph (mine was
electronically measured at over 260km/h and still accelerating). I certainly
wouldn't be game to push a roadster that fast ;)

Regards,
Phill Brook