RE: Differential help

To: <Beamonk@aol.com>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Differential help
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:27:59 -0800
>From the comments about rear end gearing and my calculations based on a 15%
speedometer error I suspect that I have a 4:38 differential in my SU 2L.
When I got the car running I had not driven a Datsun 2000 for about 29
years.  Even with that time span I noticed the difference from the stock
differentials in the 68 and 70 models I drove years before.  I thought that
the engine had been played with at first, but now I think it is all in the
differential gearing.

This car is a lot of fun to drive, especially if you like to accelerate
quickly.  I am still trying to figure out whether the suspension has been
played with, or if the gearing is helping the handling as well.  It seems to
handle better than I remember.  But that it may be my imagination because I
don't see fancy shocks.  In fact the car had new factory original shocks in
front when I got it.  It may have a slightly thicker sway bar, but I need
compare my sway bar with a known standard bar to be sure.

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland
http://www.datsun2000.com