Re: Misc Questions

To: "Jones Barton" <Jones_Barton@msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Misc Questions
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:53:30 -0600
I second Tom's suggestion for ATF.  I've used it for 30 years.  ATF is
basically high (VERY high) detergent 10wt oil with special additives for use
in transmissions.  The additives have no effect when used in SU's.  However I
would not mix type F with Mercon.  They are not compatible.  I really don't
know what effect (if any) it would have but I don't intend to find out.  I've
always used type F for no particular reason than it is what I started using
originally.  Mercon will do just as well.  I have heard a number of
discussions about which oil to use but for street use it really doesn't
matter.  I've tried everything from 5wt to 30wt and it didn't matter. I would
not suggest heavy oil in cold weather.  Even 20wt gets a bit sluggish in the
cold.  ATF has never given me a problem even in sub-zero temperatures plus it
is readily available.

The purpose of the oil is to keep the pistons from opening to quickly upon
acceleration and leaning out the mixture.   Different springs will have a big
impact on their operation.  The oil is only use to dampen them slightly.

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000
SRL311-13359