Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:07:15 -0800
Hello All,
        Got the okay from SWMBO to spend the afternoon checking the car out.
I pulled the spark plugs first and they all looked good maybe like I'm
running a little rich.  Then I popped the valve cover and found this....
www.madmadscientist.com/intakevalve.jpg

This was not what I was expecting to see... The rocker arm/follower for the
intake valve on #2 was sitting off to the side!?!?!?!?!!?!? The little round
slotted disk that sits on top of the valve and keeps the follower in place
was missing??  I looked all around the head?  Where could it of gone?  I
peeked in thru the spark plug hole and saw a piece of something sticking
out.  It looks like that slotted disk thing (what the hell is it called
anyways??) somehow worked its way down and is caught by the intake valve.  I
could move the piece a little bit but I can not pull it out.  I tried to
compress the valve spring by turning over the engine(by hand) hoping the
thing would drop out so I could grab it with a magnet but no luck.  I think
I just managed to rotate it around and I can not see it anymore.
But if you look at the picture the valve stem is lower than the intake valve
next to it so I think it must be stuck in their somewhere.
What do I do know??
Should I pull the head off and look around?
>From the sparkplug hole I can see some small marks/gouges on the piston top
from my piece of mystery metal. They are not big but  how bad can they be
and not require a new piston??
Before this fateful ride there were no weird noises when I started the car
up and it idled and ran fan.  It seems like my valve clearances would have
to be WAAAY out for that slotted disk thing to get away from the follower?
I was revving the engine pretty high just before it happened would valve
float of done this?  I have a 6000rpm limit chip in it though
Is there any hope that I can still fix this cheaply? Like pull the head
gently buff out the gouges in the piston and reassemble?  The valve seat is
probably tore up?

Help!!!
        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland CA