RE: Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?

To: "'Gordon Glasgow'" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?
From: "Daniel Neuman" <neuman@radonc17.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:06:07 -0800
Thanks everybody for replying.
The mousetrap spring was still attached to the follower I removed it before
I took the picture.
I will look again for the lash pad on the head but I swear I triple checked
the dang thing last night but the light in my garage is not the best.....
Consensus is that I have to pull the head....Okay I'm afraid to pull it.  I
have worked on all the other major systems of the car, brakes, suspension,
electrical, exhaust, carbs, dist, blah blah blah.  But I'm scared to tear
into the actual engine...
Can someone please point me to a good how-to on doing this?  I know that I
have to drain the engine oil and coolant..wait why do I have to drain the
engine oil?  Is this so I can drop the pan and hopefully get that dang lash
pad...
        Its weird my car is not exactly stock and I know a modern engine
makes a lot of sense but I am some how unreasonably attached to my little
solex'd U-20 and don't want to see it go bye bye.....

        Thanks again everybody,

        Daniel Neuman
        Oakland CA
        69 2000
p.s. anybody have any experience with the upmarket Nissan brand Infiniti?
They have what looks like a pretty cool 4 door sporty sedan called the J30t
that looks like a modern version of Irene's 71 XJ6 jag.

$
$6000 rpm shouldn't be enough to float the valves. The fact that you see
$something in the cylinder indicates that it either sucked some form of
$debris like a loose nut into the cylinder, or else it dropped the valve
$seat. Either one, jamming the valve open, could leave enough clearance up
$top for the rocker to pop out. A less likely scenario could also be that a
$chunk of the piston crown has broken off and gotten between the valve and
$the seat.
$
$The only thing to do at this point is to pull the head and see what's in
$there. Also drain the oil and look for the lash pad and pieces of the
$mousetrap spring. You may need to drop the pan to find them, but that's not
$a big deal. If you don't find them look carefully down the front cover and
$see if any bits have wedged in with the timing chains. Also carefully
$inspect the cam lobes for any damage from flying debris.
$