RE: Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?

To: "Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: RE: Checked the bad cylinder and.... HELP!?!?!?
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:45:57 -0800
Daniel,

You are getting into a fairly easy job overall.  There are many things worse
than pulling the head.

First remove the carbs and let the exhaust header just hang loose beside the
head.  That is the worst of it.

Second:  MAKE SURE THE ENGINE IS SET TO 0 DEGREES TDC.  Then remove the
Phillips head screw in the cam gear, remove the cam gear and use the screw
to attach the gear to the Evil L (that's why it is there).

Third: Make sure all electrical and water connections are removed from the
head.  I assume you have already drained the radiator.  If you don't drain
the block (plug 2/3 of the way back on the left side under the exhaust
manifold) you will have water at the top of the block.  No matter how hard
you try you will get some of that water into the block and into your oil.
If you don't drain the block that will probably be the reason you change the
oil if you don't pull the pan.

Now for the easy part.  Using a 10MM Allen socket remove the head bolts.
Try to use a pattern similar to the order you will use to put them back in
later.  Don't miss the two small bolts into the lower timing cover, and one
bolt holding the Evil L to the head.  The head is now loose and just lifts
off, leaving the chain ready for installation when you put it back together.

Be sure to look around for any other work that is easy to do without the
head in the way.  I did this year before last and ended up calling it the
never ending project.  In the end it was worth all of the work I did on the
heater and other stuff that goes through the firewall.

You should pack the area around the chain with rags to keep stuff from
falling down into the timing chain cover.  That would cause you a whole lot
more work......  If you can't find that little disk you may have to pull the
timing cover anyway.  You don't want that disk, or anything else, running
around loose inside of the timing cover.

Good luck,

Tom
69 2000 - Mr. Hyde
Portland