Re: wiring issue

To: "Oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: wiring issue
From: "mike" <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:00:27 -0600
After being on this list for over a year and reading the issues regarding
wiring in the Roadster, I've drawn the personal conclusion that: as is the
case with a lot of vintage vehicles, hydraulics and wiring top the list.
Cures are straightforward. Replace the entire hydraulic system with new (not
re-built). As for electrical, good luck, troubleshooting seems more
laborious and frustrating than the repair. I was lucky. I had my 67 1600
(purchased in spring of 1980) two weeks when my first electrical gremlin
appeared. Battery wasn't charging. 23 years later (after dash teardown) I
discovered half my wiring harness was melted. I wasn't happy to discover
what new replacements cost. A good winter project last year, I traced each
wire (after removing the harness) and re-wired the damage, and replaced the
fried amp meter. I re-routed the the Amp gauge primary so it would go
through the original fuse box and replaced that fuse with a 30 amp. Some
time I will put in a dedicated "maxi-fuse" box on the firewall and fuse it
that way. I suppose a fuse link, would be simpler. My point in all this is
that I consider my self lucky that my system was so fried I didn't have to
invest a lot of time on diagnosis. After essentially replacing my harness
and inspecting/restoring the connections, EVERYTHING works perfectly!
Mike Hudson  67-1600