Re: air filt er

To: "datsun-roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: air filt er
From: "Stephen Wan" <Steve@olsonarchitect.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:01:41 -0800
http://www.311s.org/tech/engine/1600af.html

> I had a set of very small round K&N housings on my 1500. The seemed to
> work fine, but I have no idea what they originally fit. Midget, B or
> TR, maybe?
> I just watched the Z Therapy carb rebuild video, and he mentions that
> SU's flow better with airhorns (and not to use brit airhorns, as the
> diameter is not right, creating a venturi before the venturi).
> Anyone have a K&N setup with room for airhorns?

I have similar filters to yours, but also modified some air horns to fit
inside.
I picked up some 3" aluminum airhorns on ebay, and cut the flare of the horn
off.
I then ground the aluminum flange with a dremel(the mounting face) to create
a flare.
Bolted it up backwards and voila, 3/4" stub stacks.

Although I have not tried the K&N's w/o the stub stacks,
I had to change needles as it was running lean on the top end.
There was no throttle response past 3500 rpm unless I was heavy footed.
I assume that it was getting more air than the stock setup.

Steve
70' 1600