2k tranny question

To: <Datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 2k tranny question
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:57:25 -0600
With any kind of luck (yeah, right!) I plan to pull the engine out of my 2k in
the near future.  It is sadly in need of timing chains.  It is in worse need
of synchros.  The tranny is in great shape otherwise.  Whisper quiet.  Just
the first and second gear synchros are shot.

Question:  can the tranny be disassembled and the synchros replaced without
damaging the bearings?  Considering the lousy quality of bearings these days I
would rather leave the originals in it.  Are the bearings pressed on or will
they come off with ruining them?

Best regards,

Fred Schroeder
'70 2000