Re: 2k tranny question

To: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>,
Subject: Re: 2k tranny question
From: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:47:10 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>
To: <Datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 11:57 AM
Subject: 2k tranny question

> With any kind of luck (yeah, right!) I plan to pull the engine out of my
2k in
> the near future.  It is sadly in need of timing chains.  It is in worse
need
> of synchros.  The tranny is in great shape otherwise.  Whisper quiet.
Just
> the first and second gear synchros are shot.
>
> Question:  can the tranny be disassembled and the synchros replaced
without
> damaging the bearings?  Considering the lousy quality of bearings these
days I
> would rather leave the originals in it.  Are the bearings pressed on or
will
> they come off with ruining them?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Fred Schroeder
> '70 2000
> SRL311-13359
> TDROC
> Home page http://schroeder-family.us
> e-mail  roadster@schroeder-family.us
>
> Fred
I rebuilt my tranny on the 2000 about 18 mo's ago. You can remove all of the
bearings but it helps to have a bearing press/puller. You'll need to do this
to get to the syncros. I turned my around so the unworn side was being used.
I also replaced all of the bearings, I don't understand the comment that
bearings aren't built that good anymore.
MikeKoken
Colo. Spring