Re: 2k tranny question

To: "Fred Schroeder" <roadster@schroeder-family.us>
Subject: Re: 2k tranny question
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:05:51 -0800
> Question:  can the tranny be disassembled and the synchros
> replaced without damaging the bearings?

The 4 speed is pretty easy to pull down and work on. There's a
big nut that's torqued on and a sleeve that needs to be persuaded
off (A big vice and huge crescent wrench for the first, rigging up an
18 inch gear puller for the second).

But the 5 speed... ahhh, that pup is a 'whole nother story. Huge
difference between the two - huge. On the 5 speed, everything is
pressed on. There's no clean way to pull some of the bearings
(can't get to the backside of the inner race). Dry ice and heat have
helped me persuade some of them off. On the plus side, of the
bearings I've checked so far, they're standard sizes that can be
sourced thru your local bearing house.

Replacing the second gear synchro in either tranny requires a complete
teardown - there's a thrust surface on the main shaft that prevents the
1-2 cluster from coming off the end of the shaft (if you look at a diagram
of the innards you'll understand what I mean).

I have a 5 speed halfway apart and to tell the truth I'm pretty well
stuck. I don't have the tools and press to pull it the rest of the way,
and even getting it back together will be tough. I'm gonna talk to a
local tranny shop that's worked on them before...

So in summary: 4 speed: go for it. 5 speed: think again.

NOTE: synchros are not cheap! About $300 to replace the set of four
in a four speed! If anyone has a "GOOD" aftermarket source let me know!!

-- John