Re: Electrical Problem

To: John Sugar <johnsugar@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Problem
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:44:50 -0600
John,

I am not familiar with the '70's, but I may be able to help you out. I
checked the wiring diagram on 311s and think it is not correct in the
area of the alternator. It appears the ammeter is shown to be wired
between the loads and the battery, and the alternator is connected
directly to the battery. This would cause the ammeter to always show a
discharge, which isn't correct.

Does anyone know of a different wiring diagram out on the net?

Now for generic troubleshooting. Check any connector around the
alternator and regulator for corrosion. Also, you say that the in line
fuse for the alternator looks good, check the contacts there as well as
the connections where that fuse holder is spliced into the harness for
corrosion. I'd try replacing the fuse to see if it might have an
internal intermittent.

I doubt that replacing the fuse block will take care of this problem.

When you say that the ammeter "drops", how far, center, negative, less
positive?

This will be a good start at troubleshooting this problem. If this
doesn't find the problem please let me know and we can go further.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --