[Roadsters] Instrument lighting

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Instrument lighting
From: "speeddemonrs" <speeddemonrs@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:00:35 -0700
Hi all -

Finally some time on my hands to look into something with the
dash/instrument lighting. I have a '66 1600 - PO had a complete wiring
harness professionally installed prior to selling. After getting it running,
I noticed that the ONLY dash light I have on at night is a single light in
the speedometer. I pulled some of the bulbs today to check - they were fine.
I tested the sockets of the non-working lights, DEAD. I checked the ONE
light that was working and I now believe that it was mis-installed and
should have been lighting the HIGH BEAM indicator (which would explain all
the flashing high beams coming towards me at night as well). This led me
into looking to see why the high beams were constantly on and how or where
they are turned off. I took off the steering wheel and found that the
contact at the turn signal switch has been improperly installed by PO and
corrected that too. GREAT - now I have high/low beams. I still cannot figure
out what is wrong with the dash lighting though. Looking under the dash the
only wires that I see not connected are to the Ammeter which, having
recently completing the GM alternator conversion, isn't needed anyway. So -
is there some hidden fuse location or particular connection that I should be
checking?

Robb Shannon

"If all men all created equal, why do some men have to drive a Humvee?"

1966 1600 SPL