Re: [Roadsters] Heater Blower Motor

To: "peter harrison" <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>, "datsun" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Heater Blower Motor
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 19:07:09 -0600
Peter,

On the low-windshield cars, there is a molded neoprene duct (probably a.k.a.
"rubber piece") which connects the outlet of the fan housing to the inlet of
the heater box.  Don't know about high-windshield cars.  It will be tough to
fabricate, but I've seen them on eBay.  Might even be available from one of
the suppliers, since it's not likely a high-volume piece.  There is also a
round neoprene (~4-inch diameter) elbow-shaped duct which connects the inlet
of the fan housing to the air inlet valve.  I don't know what the function
of the inlet valve is.  Again, I've seen these on eBay, and they're probably
available from someone parting out a low-windshield car.

I changed the heater core on a friend's low-windshield car without pulling
the radio console.  Do-able, but a real b___h.  I'd pull just the fan
housing and check the motor first before getting into the heater box where
the two-speed resistor is located.  WHY Nissan put that resistor inside the
heater box instead of somewhere it could be serviced without dismantling the
car is beyond me.

If it turns out to be the resistor, I'd get a replacement and bypass the one
inside the heater box.  Anyone know a reason that wouldn't work?

One preventative maintenance suggestion:  Replace the 2-inch piece of heater
hose which runs between the nipple on the heater core and the heater control
valve on low-windshield cars.  Mine disintegrated when I decided to service
the heater control valve (leaking) with the engine out.  If that little hose
fails, you're done until you replace it -- not a simple roadside task.  It
is another absolute b___h on a 2000, since there is so little clearance to
get at the clamps.  When replacing, use gear clamps which have hex heads so
you can get a socket on them.  Even so, it will be a challenge.

Gary