fot

Re: Crown wheel and pinion

To: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>,
Subject: Re: Crown wheel and pinion
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:05:03 +1200
Many years ago I made a 3.89 for a Lotus 7 with a Standard 10 back axle, but
it is a really odd mix of parts. The basic problem is the halfshafts used
are the equivalent of the small type used only in Heralds and Spitfires up
to 1967 and they have to engage in a small diff gear. This means the
relevant carrier (with the small cross shaft) must be used, and only a few
crownwheel and pinions will then fit. A very subtle change was made to
carriers/crown wheel and pinions in 71, the offset was altered by around
.040" which in theory means you can't mix sets up. It's very easy to get a
4.11 diff for a Standard 10, in fact the front case (with front mounting
plate removed) from a pre 67 Herald/Spitfire slots straight in. A 4.55 is
trickier, a Standard 10 unit will fit, but note these crown wheel and
pinions only go with a pre 61 carrier, the crownwheel bolts are 5/16 rather
than 3/8 and if you haven't got the parts they will probably have to come
from the UK (scarce but not impossible). The 4.55 set as fitted to Heralds
for Madeira and Hong Kong (yes really) is very rare, I've never seen one in
fact but it would attach to the 61-67 carrier with 3/8 bolts. The best 4.55
is the Marina Van one, but this must normally be fitted to a post 71 carrier
and then the Lotus 7 halfshafts won't fit as the diff gears are too big, and
has to go into either a GT6/Spitfire IV/1500 front case or a Dolomite/Marina
one (same thing except without the bolt holes for the front mount plate). So
the only way to fit this strong 4.55 is to do some machining of the carrier
so the crown wheel can be fitted and set with the correct backlash (plus
lots of shims behind one carrier bearing) in order that the thin Lotus
7/Standard 10 halfshafts will fit. Canley should still have all necessary
parts if you can't find anything in the US, they were all there four years
ago when they took over from me.
John Kipping