fot

RE: lessons

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: lessons
From: <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 03:04:51 +0000
>Well, what about the Fed ?  They're not the ones who built a city below sea
>level.

   No... that would have been the Spanish about 400 years ago... Maybe the
French should have abandoned it I mean it's "below sea leve"l... right?
Maybe we should have told Andy Jackson, "Let the British have it... "It's
below sea level..." Okay? Maybe the Union shouldn't have taken it from the
South to cut off a major source of income... After all... What you said...
right? Since "It's below sea level" It should have never become a major sea
port, global exporter for just about the entire south and midwest or the
home of great culture and jazz which is one of the great gifts New Orleans
gave to the world.

   Shall we abandon the entire west coast because it's on a faultline?
Should we have left Chicago because it was built of flammable material?

  In short, New Orleans has given more to the U.S. than she has ever taken.
She is part of our "National Soul" just like the declaration of Independance
or the Constitution. Which reminds me
There's a bit in the Preamble the goes: ...provide for the common defense,
PROMOTE THE GENERAL WELFARE and secure the blessings of life liberty and the
pursuit of happiness.."

I think if we can bail out the wealthy like Chrysler, the airline industry
and Halliburton, we can surely find it in our hearts to help poor folks in
one of the greatest cities in America.

I really get sick of those who choose to blame the victims in a catastrophe
rather than those whose careful stewardship of our national trust could have
prevented the catastrophe in the first place.

We are Americans. Where in our history do we let the "devil take the
hindmost"?

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois

>From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
>To: <fot@autox.team.net>
>Subject: RE: lessons
>Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:38:02 -0700
>
> >   What about the Fed? They have been systematically defunding
> > FEMA and the
> > Army Corps of Engineers. The upgrade of the levy was scheduled
> > recommended
> > work and it was defunded by 75%. Subcontractors continued to work on the
> > levy for free, even after the Federal money ran out (New Orleans is
>their
> > home too). They worked until they ran out of materials.

Seems to me that New Orleans should have to pay for their own