fot

RE: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:45:32 -0600
I guess I'd better answer this one. This is a vintage event, and as such
it's for cars built to vintage specs. In our case it's 1972 SCCA rules.
Your car may be vintage but as a current spec car it isn't built that
way. That doesn't automatically disqualify it. Send me some pictures and
the details of what you would plan to bring and I'll get a decision made
on yours or any other car. The things to watch out for are obvious to
those of us that race vintage. Air dams and extra wide flares filled
with super wide rims and slicks would not work in vintage. Many times, a
current spec car can be dressed down by removing the air dam and bolting
up some stock fenders. If the flares aren't too bad, you still have to
get a hold of proper wheels and tires. How they look with the flares is
also important. Getting a currently legal vintage car from pretty much
anywhere in is no problem, but each modern car will have to be reviewed
and cleared to race. If it can look the part and get close to vintage
specs I think we can overlook a little fiberglass and the stray crank
trigger. No promises however.

You have to have some form of competition license to race with CVAR (or
any club I suppose). They will accept an SCCA or VMC club's license.
SCCA type aggressive driving they will not accept. We never try and
squeeze through an opening like a typical SCCA race; we only make clean,
obviously safe passes. In CVAR, they black flag aggressive drivers and
send home anyone involved in metal to metal contact.

I think a Snell 95 is out of spec everywhere on-track now, maybe not for
A/X. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it needs to be 2000.

There will not be a high hassle factor at this race as long as we are
clear up front about the car and get it passed. Pictures will help. If
accepted I  will get you a letter from the club that you can bring to
the event to eliminate the hassle of coming and wondering if you are
going to be allowed to race. Larry, myself and the rest of the TxFot
guys will also be there to help.

As for the last question, you'll have to answer that. We all share a
desire to enjoy our Triumph hobby in competition. You've chosen a
different set of opportunities to do so than us folks in vintage racing.
All of these forms are great, but it is difficult to cross over from one
to the other and be competitive, not to mention a lot of work. There is
no doubt that you can back date your car for this event, many have
converted SCCA cars back to vintage, but it is your call if you want to.
Figuring out what you need to do in advance and deciding if it's worth
it, that's the real hassle factor.

Hope this helps,

Bob Kramer
Sales Manager