fot

Re: tranny's

To: 19to1tr6@comcast.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tranny's
From: Fubog1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:21:20 EST
In a message dated 1/11/2006 5:00:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
19to1tr6@comcast.net writes:

Hello  everyone  I am trying to get an idea of what its like to run an OD
trany
with a Close R/O box  Having all those gear choices is great but  some how i
feel like there would be a whole lot of shifting going on at any  given track
and just haveing that many choices would cause you to loose  time
Instead of hanging on to one gear with full throttle ringing it out  then
making the shift. I am not sugesting over reving any one gear but just  being
able to keep full throtle longer seems faster than making a lot of  shifts
Most of my racing is in 3rd and 4th gear with not many more than  2or3 shifts
per lap at most tracks

You'll probably wind up with several very close gears, ie 3rd over &
straight top, so the net advantage of going through them all in sequence is
offset
slightly due to the time it takes to make a manual gearchange, but  it's very
usefull in intermediate gears. An example would be in a short chute  where you
either keep it in lower gear & over-rev for a few moments or spend  extra time
manually shifting up & right back down again. With the OD, if you  keep the
power on & time your OD shift properly (accounting for any "lag"),  there isn't
any time loss as is in the manual gear change. Of course there are  many
variables involved so this won't apply in all cases.
The downsides I see are extra weight (although it's in the right location  if
you have to ballast), a slight parasitic power loss, & the added cost  &
complexity.
JMHO
Safety FasTR,
Glen

(ps-I will admit that the sweet sound of JK Jackson going down the front
straight @ Sebring is second only to maybe an F-4 Phantom with those J79s in
full AB...!)