fot

Re: [FOT] Sabrina twin-cam

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Sabrina twin-cam
From: "Dean Tetterton" <Richtr@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 22:51:05 -0500
My how confused we are. Graham Robson in his book "The Triumph TR's",
published in 1978 says that they did have a 6 inch longer wheelbase. Chapter
4 page 57 has two pictures of the TR3S. A front view and a side view. The
text for the side view states:

       "This side view of the TR3S 1959 Le Mans car clearly shows the
increased wheelbase. The six inches (an increase duplicated in the 'ZOOM'
project - see chapter 7) was inserted between the front wheels and the
doors. The profile of the front wings is an important bit different from a
normal TR3A. "

Graham Robson also wrote in his book "Triumph Cars the complete Story"
published in 1979 like information. Chapter 13, 'Sabrina and a new TR' says
on page 216:

           "For the 20X's first Le Mans, in 1959, it was agreed that the
cars should look as much like TR3As as possible. However, to instal the
bulky Sabrina engine the chassis-frames needed to be lengthened (or so the
engineers thought); new frames with many existing TR3A parts were laid out
on a 94in. wheelbase."

Perhaps newer information says different, but the TRS frame I looked at that
belongs to TRF has a six inch section added to it just aft of the front
suspension.

Dean Tetterton