fot

Re: [Fot] Scatter Shields

To: Cofrog@aol.com, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Scatter Shields
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:59:46 EDT
In a message dated 7/4/07 9:42:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Cofrog@aol.com
writes:

What are you folks using for scatter shields and their source.  I  see Uncle
Jack has (had) a metal "U" shaped shield that fits around the  transmission
cover inside the car.  Others feel that the shield needs to  wrap around the
whole bell housing.  Thoughts

Thankfully I have never had to test a scattershield...
That being said I once owned a nationally competitive production car from a
big name factory supported team that had a piece of about 1"x1"x4" angle iron
bolted to the bottom corner of the battery tray above the trans and on the
passengers side of the car!  Useful?...only for passing SCCA tech.

I have favored a piece of about 10 or 12 ply conveyer belt that can be
wrapped around the trans/engine interface and extend to the rear as far as you
like.
(Usually about 8" to 10" rearward) You could make this a 360 degree fitting
if desired. Its fairly liteweight, easy to manipulate and hopefully strong
enough to stop any itinerant fragments.  OK. it won't stop a 9mm at about
1100fps
but will a cluster gear reach that velocity?

Still with all my toes and hopin to keep em that way...
                         Nick in Nor Cal