fot

Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints

To: JWoesvra@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] SVRA to require head and neck restraints
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:33:47 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 JWoesvra@aol.com wrote:

> You seem like a reasonable guy and I hate personal protection laws as much
> as anyone. However, in the racing business the dynamics are somewhat different
> than "life on the street".
>
> My question is: what other organizations have backed off on HANS
> enforcement? We would perhaps like to discuss the problems they faced and
>share  ideas.

I don't know the answer to this one, but I have first hand experience with
some of the more "backwater" venues for roundy-round types. If you want to
see SCARY lack of adherence to safety, check out a small circle track.
Especially the "hobby" classes.

One of my buddies is a first responder (licensed EMT) and he worked
trackside safety. He was actually threatened when he approached a
participant that had the seat belts _tied to the seat and not bolted to
the floor_ and told the participant to fix it. The participant response
was something like "I'll tear your lungs out if you don't let me race".

Oh well. That was New Hampshire. Live Free or Die. They have no helmet
law. They also have 5 or 6 fatalities every year at the Loudon bike week.

Go figure.

But money on "backing off" on safety mandates is on small local track
organizations. Once there's a fatality or accident with permanent
disability, the tracks and/or organizations usually go bankrupt (because
of the legal morass).

> Jack  Woehrle
> SVRA Technical Director
> jwoesvra@aol.com
> 803-463-5388
> FAX  803-794-8747
> 701 Center Street
> West Columbia, SC 29169

regards,
rml
Bob Lang              NER/SCCA                 |  This space for rent
Solo Chair 2008       TR6 40 F Prepared        |  Triumph!
Voice:781-438-2568    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489