fot

Re: [Fot] Why do you race what you race?

To: "'Andre Rousseau'" <andre@gt6.ca>, "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Why do you race what you race?
From: "Jim" <britbits@netzero.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:09:16 -0600
Andre,

For me, it's what's been available at a reasonable price.  That's been
Spitfires.

As has been pointed out, you can probably find cars that have been converted
to race cars soon after being sold.  And if you're going to go racing,
that's usually the cheapest way to start, as most race cars will sell for
less than 1/2 what they cost to build.  Some of them aren't worth 1/4 what
they cost to build.  That's the argument against a "prebuilt" race car.

Spitfires are more common because they're the most common of the Triumphs on
our side of the pond.  18 years and some 300k+ cars built.   Only topped by
the TR7/8s in initial production numbers  and the 7/8s are not vintage legal
for most groups.  Yes, you can find big TRs as race cars.  Some may be
deals.. Some may be tired pieces of mechanical bits.  You have to do your
research.

And the Spitfire (and GT6) is such an easy engine/trans to work on.  Lift
the front clip for engine work, pull a trans cover for the inside.

The biggest downside on the Spitfire line is the rear swing axles.
Specifically the hubs.  There are people on the list who've run stock
axles.. And some got some wild rides.. Right Ed?

As has been said, if you can pick up a prepped car it'll usually be less
than 1/2 of what you'll spend on your own home project.  Keep your eyes/ears
open.   Lots of deals have been from people who've had good cars but had to
sell because of life changes.  Divorce or disability.  Not  trying to
suggest being a ghoul, it's just where the deals are.

I was offered my autocrosser after being vetted by the original owners.
The main owner was going through divorce/house sale.  The car is a gem.  The
spares were trash.  But I had been around the club long enough that I was
the chosen sucker.  It can be a liability being known.  ;)

Overall it's been a good ride.  Aside from snapping u-joints and replacing
cracking steel rims.

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas