fot

Re: [Fot] What did you do?

To: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] What did you do?
From: robert bownes <bownes@seiri.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:32:37 -0500
I vividly remember learning how to drive in N. Ireland as a teenager. It's
*hard*.

Driving test was about an hour long, maybe more. Was very real world. Go to
this part of town. Parallel park. Parallel park on the *off* side on a one
way street. Eye test was 'What is the license plate number on that green car
over there?' Had to drive on city streets, residential streets, and highways
(though not limited access, but pretty darn close). The sadists at MOT
scheduled my first test for rush hour. Needless to say, I failed. Several
times.

The other thing that struck me as a teenager in NI was the zero tolerance to
drunk drivers amongst my peers. This was 1979 mind you, and no one ever
drove home drunk. There was always a DD. And plenty of drunk teenagers. :)

The having to drive with the big red 'L' on your learner's permit and the
'R' (restricted) for 6 months after getting your license was a help too.

As to sending your kid to performance driving school, I think it's a great
idea. If I had kids, I would. And I'd send 'em to the motorcycle Basic Rider
course, if for no other reason than to teach them to look out for bikes and
to be able to drive anything we own. (the first car *is* a manual trans,
right?)

iii