fot

Re: [Fot] TR head cracks

To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <mark@bradakis.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] TR head cracks
From: "Marcel Van Mulders" <van.mulders.marcel@telenet.be>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 12:42:34 +0100
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
I believe I wrote 6000C, not 6000.
But on another subject : Cor Nuyts is a man near Antwerp who is famous for
his billet steel crankshafts and a lot of special engine parts for tractor
pulling etc.
He has over 100 different crankshafts in the database of a CNC machine i.e.
6cyl TR and 4 cyl TR with 92 and 96 mm stroke (I had a 96mm crank made by
him, but had to sell it on after I told it to the people of the TR
Competition before my first race there) Cor is 70 now and still hard
working. When he was in his twenties, he made succesfully a straight 8
Bugatti crankshaft on an ordinary lathe : it took most of the week-ends
during a year.
Recently, he machined a TR6 block for me to take 3600 Toyota crank thrust
bearings. The bearings couldn't be mounted however, he hadn't machined deep
enough. To avoid transport of the engine again, he milled the bearings 0.3mm
down. To do so, he placed the bearings on a flat magnetic plate to secure
them, and then the plate with the bearings went under a stone to mill them.
On the way home, I thought that this milling with parts on a magnetic plate
could also be used to make used brake pads flat again. I've used Kas
Kastner's method on a drill several times and this is working very well,
but, if you have gathered a lot of partially used brake pads over several
years, milling these on such a machine could be an elegant alternative. What
do you think?
Marcel