fot

[Fot] Type A OD pressure test

Subject: [Fot] Type A OD pressure test
From: cartravel at pobox.com (Larry Young)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:41:47 -0600
It seems like the balls and springs (pump, operating valve) are always a
problem. I've seen all sorts of suggestions and tried many of them.
Lapping the ball seat sounds like a good idea. I've always used the
smack the ball with a hammer trick. I don't know how to test those
little springs and I don't trust that the ones we buy are correct.
Rather than worrying about air leakage, a better test is probably to see
how long the unit holds pressure after you shut it down. I had one that
would hold pressure for days, but most will only hold pressure for a
number of minutes to perhaps an hour.

One problem I have frequently had is that the unit will not pressure up
after I put oil in it.? I've always thought it was because of all the
air in the lines. I developed an assembly method to make sure I got oil
pumped at each step. You could also use it as a troubleshooting method.
You might check it out starting at Step 15 in
http://vintagetriumphregister.org/maintain/TransRebuild/OverDriveA02.pdf.
Another trick I've heard is to put Vaseline jelly in the pump to help it
get started.
 ?- Larry