fot

[Fot] Type A OD pressure test

Subject: [Fot] Type A OD pressure test
From: mhado at att.net (M&M Hado)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 08:48:34 -0600
Greg,

Just a couple more thoughts to add to the good suggestions already offered. I
especially liked Jack?s idea of hand-lapping in the aluminum seats with a ball
welded to a rod.

I?m guessing that most of the air you?re hearing is leaking around the outside
of the operating valve since air is much more likely to do so than the
relatively thick 90 weight oil.  Just the fact that only 120 psi of air
pressure is enough to move the operating pistons tells me that the rest of your
system is relatively tight.  The normal operating pressure after all is about
400 psig so you have a lot of ?fat? built into it.

One thing that might cause the operating pistons to move with a relatively
small pressure is having weak or incorrect springs pushing the cone clutch
rearward.  Be sure you have the so-called ?long? and ?short? ones in the right
locations,  It?s actually the coil bound length that determines which is which.
 If you put a long one where a short one will be, it may bind before reaching
full movement, resulting in the cone clutch not reaching the brake ring.  Don?t
ask me how I know this.  To check this, I put each spring on a threaded rod and
run a nut down the rod until the coil binds.  Measure the length at that point
and the long springs will be about 3/8? longer than the short ones.

Also, the seating of the balls on the aluminum seats in the casing is indeed
important but it?s also important to have a good seat between the ball and tip
of the operating valve.  I had a D-type OD that was eating my lunch with low
operating pressure during engagement and the tip of the valve was nicked
resulting in a bad seal.  Changing the valve solved the problem.  The oil flow
is very small in the system so a leak of even the smallest area will drop the
pressure quite a bit.

Lastly, you mentioned the ?relief valve? and I?m not sure which valve you are
referring to since the pressure relief occurs when the accumulator piston moves
enough to uncover the relief holes back to the sump.  Since you only had 120
psi, the accumulator piston would not have moved nearly enough to ?relieve.?
I?m guessing you were referring to the operating valve.

Mike Hado