Re: Front wheel bearings

To: "Austin Healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front wheel bearings
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 21:57:41 -0700
Jorge,

re:

"I've read that BJ8s use ball
bearing type of bearings for the front wheels with NO
shims while early BJ8s and earlier Healeys use a
tapered type of wheel bearing with shims"

Think you have it backwards.  Early Healeys used ball wheel
bearings and after BN1 or so they used tapered, which need the
shims.

Start with no shims and tighten the nut, which will lock up the bearings,
then add shims until the bearings just turn with no resistance.   Usually,
0.030" of shims works about right.   It's easier to do this job with clean
bearings, but be careful not to turn tight, ungreased bearings too much.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net