Re: Front wheel bearings

To: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Front wheel bearings
From: "Bill Lawrence" <ynotink@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:36:59 -0700
I have to agree about the structural question, but have some further
comments on the spacer issue.
  First I think the distance piece and shims were included as much
because it was the Austin standard as anything else.
Secondly, if done properly, the shimmed method provides the optimal
point at which the bearings (Tapered rollers) provide no detectible end
play with no thrust loading.
That would seem to be the best running condition for this type of
bearing and the fact that so many of them are still in use after 40 or
50 years would seem to bear that out.
Using the "tighten and slacken to feel" method works also, but is it
"RIGHT"?

Bill Lawrence