RE: Front wheel bearings

To: "'Dave & Marlene'" <rusd@velocitus.net>,
Subject: RE: Front wheel bearings
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:07:57 -0400
This is a question that Steve Byers and I knocked around some time ago
and generally came to no conclusion.
My contention is that the spacer is necessary. The theory is that the 2
bearing inner races and the spacer, when the nut is tightened
essentially increase the cross sectional area of the stub axle. This
increased cross section substantially decreases any torsional deflection
of the stub axle resulting from axial loads.
As Healey stub axles are well know for cracking in near the root I am
inclined to take as much strength as I can get. I believe, but cannot
prove, that most of the cracked axles that we have come across have been
ones which were operated for some time without spacers. BWT we sent 12
stub axles out for crack testing some years back and as I recall 7 came
back with cracks marked at the stub axle root!!
I should mention that Steve, a man whose opinions I profoundly respect,
thinks my theory is complete horse feathers!!

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com