Re: wire wheels

To: "Dave & Marlene" <rusd@velocitus.net>,
Subject: Re: wire wheels
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:21:09 -0700
Dave, et al,

re:

"Rims for tubeless tires have a different profile that is intended to
retain the tire in place on the rim if the pressure gets low & you are
hard cornering. Wheels made for tube tires didn't have this extra security"

Huh?  Does this mean the wire wheels, Minilite replicas, etc. most of us
are running are only supposed to be used with "tube" tires?   The only
tires I know of that were made for tubes are bias ply ... I think most of
us--including Peter with his 185/70 Vredesteins--are running radials which
are NOT designed to be run with tubes (the sideways flex of a radial causes
chafing of the tubes).

I ran my 72-spoke Daytons with tubes for years and had many leaks due
to the tube chafing the inside of the tire.  I had the rims sealed and I now
run tubeless and except for a nail or two have had no problems (yes, I
plugged the nail holes and had no problems with the plugs).

Personally, I think sealing the rim and running tubeless is the only way
to go, the main drawback being that you have to remove the sealant
and re-seal to true the wheel.

I can't believe the the 15X6" Dayton rims (recommended and sold to me
by Bruce Erfer) were made for bias-ply tires ...it would take a truck tire
to fit them.

bs

Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net