Re: Balancing Rotors

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Balancing Rotors
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:13:03 -0400
On Sat July 24 2004 7:33 pm, Bob Spidell wrote:
> I was wondering if this would help the scuttle shake, which no
> amount of wheel balancing will solve.
>
> Not sure about drilling into the rotor edge, though ... wouldn't
> that weaken the rotor (like turning too thin)?

While in an ideal world, it would be nice to have the rotors perfectly in
balance, an ideal world isn't where the Healey is from, so...
...I wouldn't touch the rotors before first undertaking the following steps:

1) getting the wheels tight and as true as humanly possible,
2) mounting the tires and shaving them to roundness, if necessary,
3) balancing the wheels and tires off the car, then if necessary,
3) balancing the wheels and tires on the car (there are still shops that can
do this).

Only then would I consider mucking with the rotors, and then I would have it
done at a racing shop.  Just one man's opinion.
--
John Miller

It's hard to think of ourselves as the end result of millions of years of
evolution.