Re: Balancing Rotors

To: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>,
Subject: Re: Balancing Rotors
From: "Pat Davis" <PADDYMCK@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:58:05 -0400
Bob,

The TR rotors are 15 yr since being drilled and still going strong.  If the
holes are 3/16 to 1/4in diam and spaced apart and assuming you don't have to
hollow it out significantly, the integrity of the rotor is not affected.
You should start with good, unskimmed rotors or get new ones, which might
solve the problem anyway.  Definitely check the other suggestions like wheel
and tire trueing, suspension and steering ball joints, shocks and mountings.
They can all have an effect.  Have someone drive alongside and behind to see
if the wheels are shaking, bouncing or showing runout.

On my 100M with either the RS5's on 48 spokes which I trued, or the 185/70
Vred's on 72 spokes, all just statically balanced on a bubble balancer with
the weights on the inside for appearance, the car is completely smooth and
shake free up to xxxmph.  If you have serious scuttle shake, there has to be
a reason and quite likely it is the wheel/tire combination but not always
necessarily.

Happy hunting,

Peter Davis