Re: Balancing Rotors

To: "PETER DAVIS" <paddymck@peoplepc.com>,
Subject: Re: Balancing Rotors
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 16:33:27 -0700
Thanks, Peter.

I was wondering if this would help the scuttle shake, which no
amount of wheel balancing will solve.

Not sure about drilling into the rotor edge, though ... wouldn't
that weaken the rotor (like turning too thin)?

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net

> Bob,
>
> I have done it successfully on my TR rotors when having a persistent front
>shake at 60-65mph and the wheels were
balanced.  The unmachined section around the hub can be off center or irregular
shape and create out of balance forces.
Remove the wheel, slacken off the bearing (preferably wipe out most of the
grease for the purpose of the test), then let
the rotor go from different rotational positions and see if it consistently
stops with the same spot at the bottom, the
heavy point.  Drill radial holes, about 0.25in diam worked, in the center of
the rotor edge thickness, spaced about
0.375in apart, going in towards the stub axle about 1in.  Stop when the rotor
no longer has a tendency to turn when
released from any position.  Regrease and re-adjust the wheel bearing.